Friday, November 26, 2010

Versailles Palace & The Catacombs: American Thanksgiving in Between

Oh baby it's cold outside. We have nestled in for a long winters nap! Bryan has went out to fetch our afternoon red wine (I guess I am not allergic to red like I once thought). We have slowed down some over the last few days. The weather has made me a bit of a grumple dump (as Bryan will say). What is today?!

Anyway, we went to Versailles Palace on Wednesday and dang it, we forgot to charge the camera. Pretty impressive place. Those royals know how to live. Most things were gilded in gold or bronze and quite fancy. The paintings really had nothing much on most of the ones we've seen so far. Did you know that queens had to give birth in front of people to prove paternity?? We saw the room. I am not sure how this proves paternity and it is not nearly as entertaining as modern "who's your daddy maury povich" shows but some trivia for you. We bought some postcards and we were going to take pictures of those to post. That was a rather dumb idea so we did not do that. Funny, anyhow.  We finished some of our Parisian Christmas shopping. Much more shopping to go...

Then Thanksgiving came. Kind of a bummer. This sneaked up on me because I detest the holiday season so I thought what of it to be gone for Thanksgiving. Somewhere in the night someone slipped sentimentality into my dreams because we were both pretty bummed out yesterday. This was topped off by a dinner that made me feel like we were eating at a homeless shelter. Bryan found a place that sold American beer and that made it a little better. However, we ended up surfing i-tunes ruminating on our homesickness.

This morning we went to the catacombs. This was probably my least favorite part of our trip thus far. I thought it would be kind of cool to see a bunch of bones (kind of like Indiana Jones or something). They had a warning that in retrospect fit me well "NOT FOR THOSE WITH A NERVOUS TEMPERAMENT" Hmm, sounds like me. I went on ahead, through cold, wet, narrow, low, tunnels lined with skulls and bones. Sounds fun?! I am glad to have seen it but do not recommend it to people who do not like enclosed spaces lined with human bones. I was pretty nauseous when we emerged from the catacombs onto an unknown street in an unfamiliar part of town. It felt like miles of tunnels lined with skulls and bones. I dared Bryan to touch one and he said something about getting cursed.

I don't think we are going to make it to Spain. Which is really fine for us. We would like to dedicate another vacation to Barcelona rather than take the train nine hours one-way to spend one afternoon and take the train back. The rest of the trip is dedicated to Christmas shopping and resting.

By the way has anyone seen the ending to the fourth season of Dexter! Holy Cow! What a shocker!





I think I am mid gulp


Our "homeless shelter" themed thanksgiving


If this is my thanksgiving mayeth the wine floweth like water




The Lion of Justice. 


Scary!




Harry Potter and Hall of Darkly Something







Little Creepy, No?




Love and miss you all.

No comments:

Post a Comment