Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Surrealism is destructive, but it destroys only what it considers to be shackles limiting our vision. Salvador Dali

The thing about Paris that I have come to love and loathe is that there is no possible way we are going to be able to enjoy all of this city the way we would like in 30 days (or less given that we still plan to go to Spain). Today we woke to the sound of school children playing in the park in front of our apartment. I am not clear as to when these children are in school or if they attend school. It is a Wednesday (I think...) and these kiddies are always in the park. I do know that if I watch ONE more moment of the BBC I will explode. World news cycles are boring me to bits and I would rather listen to children scream at one another in French. Jean sent us a pretty on point excerpt by David Sedaris describing Paris. This city has a way of taking your breath away moment after moment. We can be walking down a hill and then the sun hits the city a certain way and we both pause without words. Makes me a very grateful person. 

Today we went to the Sacre Coeur, Salvador Dali museum, the Moulin Rouge and some other shops and museums. The Sacre Coeur was unbelievably beautiful and peaceful. It is too bad that we could not take pictures of the inside. It was so beautiful, I felt compelled to drop some euros in a some boxes named for specific saints (not that I have a clue who represents what). I also lit some candles for the people in my world that have suffered such a tough year. I then sat in a pew in awe of the art that surrounded us. We then enjoyed the sunshine (first in many days) as we wandered into the Salvador Dali museum. AMAZING. It was a small collection but captivating. The sculptures were my favorite. Because I really know nothing about art I am not going to try and describe why these were great. I really just like the way they look. After this, we saw the Moulin Rouge. It was OK. Not as great as I had anticipated but I am glad to have seen it and check it off the list. The Moulin Rouge is in a part of town that I would like to avoid after dark. Very questionable shops and "bars." 

Finally, to cap off our day. We went to the supermarche to gather materials for a night in. Paris is a hunting gathering community. One does not just get food when you want. We have learned that we have to be deliberate in our planning or we don't eat. The time difference is still an issue and most places are closed when we are ready for dinner. Crepes are great but not for a meal several nights in a row. The immediate gratification associated with American culture does not exist here. This is only exacerbated by the language barrier. I do not expect people to speak English as this is France; however, and occasional English conversation is refreshing. Now we plan to watch MTV-France drink some wine and listen to French kids kickball outside...

Au Revoir!
















2 comments:

  1. We had the same food experiences in Iceland too (as well as the incessant BBC)... The restaurants all close shockingly early, and there aren't as many convenience eateries as there are in America, so there were a few nights of desperate room service nachos in lieu of real dinner.

    What's with the Michigan storefront?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw! You guys did so much today! Sacre Coeur! Moulin Rouge! Mustard chips! Jealous! Kelly says we have a list of souvenirs we'll need you to bring back:

    Mustard chips
    Leffe Ruby
    Hot pink shoelace

    Get on it! ;) Miss you and Paris already!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete